Thursday, October 15, 2015

Reading in a Digital Age

           I have been reading since I was about four. I have always loved to read words on a page and the feel of the page and the smell of the ink. I loved the experience of reading so much that I would not let my mom read me bedtime stories and opted to read them to myself. I love bound books and convenient paperbacks (perfect for traveling). I love the physicality of reading and feel like the Internet is trying to ruin that for me. 
Let me explain I think it is great the information is so easily obtainable especially by people that might get accesses to books in the same ease of access way that I am able to. I just feel like the written word is becoming a little less written. I like to write and hope to someday sell books but I’m afraid that when I craft my perfect novel or curate my short story collection that it will be digitally and only in a digital format.

I what the person who reads my work to be able to share with me the reason I love to write, and that's because I love to read. I want them to feel the physicality of the time I put into work to be a physical weight in their hands not just some text on a screen the digital stratosphere. I feel like those midlevel monks angry about the printing press yelling “It’s Satan’s laziness.” Okay maybe not that bad but I am afraid. Afraid that digital writing will extinct my beloved bound books and I will only be left with digital when my heart is so analog.    

No comments:

Post a Comment