Friday, December 11, 2015

A Fiction for the Modern Generation

Think back to your childhood reading goosebumps by the master of childhood nightmares RL Stein. You might remember the deranged ventriloquist dummy Slappy or anything involving horror in a basement. I remember a book called Beware the Purple Peanut Butter. I know what's scary about peanut butter, read it and find out its creepy. The book was part of a series called Reader Beware...You Choose the Scare ( insert scary voice and flickering lights). I remember this book because it was the first book I had ever experienced that let me tell the story. Granted it was a limited story because printed media only gives you so many pages, if they gave you ever option imaginable it would be a ridiculously large book. I really liked being able to engage with the story and now with the Internet changing the way we view fiction, interactive fiction has become a true genre.
There is this program call Twine. It allows you to make interactive fiction online using their software and you don't have to know how to code html or css or anything like that to use it. You set up your boxes and start to make different paths and options for the viewers. It can be as expansive or as limited as you want it to be. It is truly making the reader engage. These fictions are called "games" but I truly think they are stories just presented a new way for a new audience.


If your interested in Twine you can go to their website, there is an online component so you don't have to download anything ( if you want to, there is a desktop version). I will also give the link to the Twine fiction I made if your curious about how the stories are told.
My story link-

3 comments:

  1. I think Twine is going to change the way people read. Not only does it demand that you continue to pay attention, but it also gives you choice. That being said, I don't know if I like it compared to normal fiction, where the story of the character is what you get. I don't know if Twine helps with character development or hurts it. I feel like Harry Potter wouldn't have worked as an interactive fiction because each choice made was so important in developing who Harry, Ron, and Hermione would. The concept might work for some stories but not for others. I think it's interesting how people tried to do interactive fiction through paper because it doesn't seem like a practical concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine, Twine sounds like a really cool concept! On something of a sad note, I actually own every single Goosebumps book but never read a single one of them. I regret that now, as they've always looked so interesting. One of my favorite things about Twine is that you can interact with the story based on what you've told us. Although a lot of people would say it's very different, video games offer a similar opportunity with being able to influence your own story. I think Twine and similar concepts will attract a lot of readers as so many people want to be part of the stories they love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of Twine until you showed me the story you made in class a few weeks ago. It is seriously Goosebumps on steroids, which is awesome. The Goosebump books were one of my first forays into reading for fun as a child and it's so cool to see that same concept revived and improved upon. I may give it a go over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete